As we savor the last few days of Summer, I wanted to share a workout my friends and I did last weekend in Miami. The workout is fun, simple and effective (instructional photos are below). Give it a whirl this Labor Day weekend and let me know how it goes. Lots of love, Brit
Hello friends. A colleague of mine forwarded me an AMAZING article from Forbes.com. You can click here to read the full article, but below is an excerpt of the GRIT section by Scott Petinga – it’s just too good not to share…
- “G” is for guts, that secret superpower that allows us to overcome adversity and steer a course over, under, around or straight through life’s many obstacles and challenges. Having guts is about living in the moment and doing things you’re afraid of right now — not tomorrow, not five years from now. It’s about being confident in your opinion, voicing that opinion and not being afraid to disagree with people.
- “R” is for resilience, which allows us to bounce back from life’s many defeats to enjoy the fruits of our labor and eventual success. Perseverance is a major part of that. The journey that got me to where I am today gave me this insatiable drive, this compulsion to create change — to be change. It also taught me to genuinely care about people, to care about the community around me and to care about the impact I have on the future. Don’t limit yourself to what’s immediately doable. Instead ask, “What’s possible?”
- “I” is for initiative, that entrepreneurial spirit that inspires us to act on our biggest ideas and build a life and career for ourselves. With initiative comes the risk of failure, which is why doing so is well worth it. Either it takes you forward into a new direction, or you fail, and those failures take you in a new direction.
- “T” is for tenacity, which ultimately determines how hard we fight for our dreams. Tenacity can be summed up as, “improvise, overcome, adapt,” regardless of the odds. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. A tenacious person never has to say “would have,” “could have” and “should have.” Don’t think too long about things, just go for them.
Those of you who have been following me from the beginning know that helping people develop GRIT is the core purpose of my blog. I believe fitness is about so much more than a strong body. It’s about transforming your mind, CHOOSING to think positive thoughts and having the courage to believe in and work for your goals. The great thing about GRIT is that can be developed. Unlike talents, we aren’t born with GRIT. This means that each of us has the opportunity and the means to make our dreams come true. True that. xoxo, Brit
What’s your dream?
How are are you fighting to makes your dream come true?
How do you show your GRIT?
I’m still riding high from attending my very 1st IDEA World Fitness Convention and Sweat Pink Blogfest. IDEA World is largest fitness conference in the world with people traveling from all over the globe to see exhibits of the latest fitness and nutrition developments, share expertise and listen to keynote speakers like Jillian Michaels, Tara Stiles, Cassey Hoe, Chalene Johnson, the list goes on and on… Simply put – it’s fitness heaven!
Fortunately, I made it back to Dallas in time to teach my beloved weekend Piyo and Turbo Kick classes before flying out again on Sunday night for my corporate career (double duty). As I reflect on my time at IDEA World, I want to share the most memorial moments that had the greatest impact on me. In order of occurrence, here they go…
Cool California Vibes
I love me some “Cali Swag.” Every time I’m on the West Coast I feel young, cool, hip, relaxed and imaginative. Sure enough, when I arrived in Anaheim, CA last week all of those feelings rushed through my mind, body and soul. I woke up each day at IDEA World and basked in the beautiful California sunshine, cool breeze and anticipation of all of the fitness excitement that awaited me. From day 1 I felt welcome, wanted and wonderful. I love California.
Being Surrounded by Passionate People
It was so great to run into old friends like my Harvard Business School classmate Minal Mehta, co-founder of BollyX Fitness and also make some new fitness blogger friends like Tiffany and Tasha. To be honest, I was kind of in groupie-mode the whole time because I finally got meet, in person, so many of the bloggers that I stalk on Instagram. “Classy” people say you should “act like you’ve been there before” but, hey, I haven’t been! No shame in my game 🙂
Being Inspired by Jillian Michaels (surprisingly)
Okay so, real talk: I have never been a Jillian Michaels fan. I appreciate hard work and brutal honesty, but I never really got on the Body Shred/Jillian/Biggest Loser bandwagon like most of America. Wow – meeting someone face-to-face can really show you how judgmental you are. That’s what happened to me. I actually teared up during Jillian’s keynote address. She’s so passionate and encouraging, not about weight loss, but about believing in yourself and having the courage and confidence to follow your dreams. I wrote down several things she said that had a big impact on me, but the one statement that stuck the most is the quote I put on the photo I took of Jillian (above) – “Work with passion is purpose. Work without passion is punishment.” The moral of the story is, “Do what you love and work your butt off at it!”
PiYO Workout with Chalene Johnson
Simply put, Chalene is my fitness inspiration. Actually it’s a tie between her andBilly Blanks (who was also at IDEA World). I was obsessed with Tae Bo when I was 15 years old, but Chalene is the person who impacted my new-found love for fitness instruction and blogging. 3 years ago I got my very first fitness instructor certification in Chalene’s format, Turbo Kick. Shortly after I started this GRIT by Brit blog. Since then, group fitness instruction and blogging have been my passions, my obsessions, the things that make me smile when everything else in my life is going wrong. So meeting Chalene in person was a very special moment for me – one that I will cherish forever, for the rest of my life.
Business and Blogging Tips from Cassey Hoe @Blogilates
I totally look up to Cassey Hoe as social media guru and fitness entrepreneur. Cassey writes one of the most well-known fitness and wellness blogs, Blogilates, and quickly grew in popularity because of her effective and fun Pilates videos on YouTube. Needless to say, I totally geeked out when I met her. Since started her blog she’s launched a clothing line, released several signature workout videos for her format, Pop Pilates, and done several top-tier brand partnerships. I learned some really valuable tips for GRIT by Brit, like how I need to start writing a regular newsletter….looks like have work to do this week (P.S. Check your inbox).
Adding 3 New Headbands to My Collection
In case you can’t tell from my workout photos, I have a very serious headband obsession – I own over 50! My excuse is that I have a big forehead (aka 5 head) so I need the extra coverage – hehe. Any way, I’m always looking for new headbands that A) don’t slip B) are wide/thick C) have cool bright patterns. Ladies and Gentlemen I have found what I’m looking for! I love love love these headbands from Living One Love. I just bought 3 for now, but there will be more…trust.
Winning a Lorna Jane Gift Card (yippee!)
I was already familiar with Lorna Jane active wear becaue my cycling studion in Dallas, Beyond Pedaling, carries their line. Also, they just opened a store in North Park mall. However, I don’t own any of their stuff. After seeing the Lorna Jane exhibit at IDEA World and realizing that their stuff is really freaking cute (i.e. super bright colors and inspirational saying like “run girl run”) I can already tell that I’m gonna be a Lona Jane addict. Yay for winning Blogfest raffle for a Lorna Jane gift card! But I already feel sorry for my bank account when the gift card runs out, eek!
So Much Free Swag
Let’s do the list: A cross-body Zumba bag, Zen Planner water bottle, exercise-pilates ring and DVD, tons of healthy snacks, headbands, Sweat Pink shoelaces, sunglasses, ahh the list goes on and on! Not much to say here – the swag speaks for itself.
Leaving Inspired to Take Risks and Pursue My Dreams!
As I mentioned last week, I’ve had a pressing desire to open my own chain of fitness studios. I want to create a place that manifests the core values of Grit by Brit . Starting a business is risky and stressful, but it’s also so rewarding! After my time at IDEA World, I’m convinced that being a fitness instructor is my calling. There is nothing I’m better at and enjoying doing more than using fitness to encourage people to live their best lives. Most importantly, I want to do it in away that’s fun and positive! That said, I’m riding this IDEA World inspirational high to get cracking on my new fitness studio concept. Lots of work ahead, but I’m a gritty chick and up for the challenge! What do you love to do? What’s your dream?
“You are worthy of happiness and you deserve to sing everyday.”
Lots of luv, Brit
Happy Sunday! I wanted to share a little inspiration to get your week started with a positive and optimistic outlook. “Chasing your dream” is much easier said than done. Especially, when you’re at a crossroads in your life and the opportunity cost of fully pursuing your dream is high.
In recent years, I’ve develop my own dream of opening fitness studio in Dallas. Each time I take a few steps forward, I take 3 or 4 steps back because my fears kick in. I often think to myself “I won’t make as much money,” “there are too many competitors,” “can I do this all by myself?”
I found this great article on Forbes.com that really hit home and gave me a little push to quit wallowing in my fears…
The 5 Way s to Overcome the Fear of Chasing Your Dream
By Steven Berglas at Forbes (click the link to read the full article)
- Your fear of taking action is a result of watching yourself fail to act–not the other way around.
- Your fear of losing a paycheck is exaggerated.
- Your fear of launching a start-up stems from knowing someone whose new venture fell flatter than a crepe.
- You won’t sacrifice a paycheck because it would be “wrong, reckless, irresponsible, etc.”
- No one daydreams while watching a Super Bowl game that goes into the fourth quarter with the score tied.
I hope these 5 tips give you the same inspirational kick they gave me. In the near future I expect that my blog posts and your comments will reflect that we finally ditched the fear and went for it! Be on the look out. A Grit by Brit Fitness studio could open soon near you (wink wink)! Send me your positive vibes and I’ll send you mine. Have a wonderful week! xoxo, Brit
What’s your dream? How will you more actively pursue it?
Hey gang – here’s your workout of the day. I’ve been feeling full of energy all week, so I wanted to create a workout that let’s me jump around! This a great power workout to tag on to resistance training. If you have a knee issues, this probably isn’t the best workout for you 🙁 However, you can modify the moves my elevating on to your tip toes instead of jumping. Give it a whirl and let me know who it goes. xoxo, Brit
Happy Hump Day gang! As I sit in my home office enjoying my week of vacation, I started a stream of consciousness of thoughts/statements that I absolutely hate to hear. So, I wanted to write a post to reject each and every one of them…
- My best days are behind me – Gritty people believe that the best is always yet to come. If we can’t hope for a brighter and better future, what’s the point of working hard? Or waking up every day?
- My dreams don’t matter – Our dreams are unique. They drive our passions and ultimately our purpose in life. Gritty people value their dreams and pursue them.
- I’ve reached my limit – We have no limits! We are only limited by our minds and the restrictions that we put on ourselves. Gritty people continuously work harder, dream bigger and expect more out of life.
- I’m cursed – None of us are cursed! In fact, believing that we are cursed will actually bring about bad situations. Suffering is a fundamental part of the human experience, but in the grand scheme of things, good always outweighs bad. Gritty people strive to stay positive!
- I’m not supposed to be happy – All of us are given the gift of life and have duty to live life abundantly. That means we are supposed to experience joy, peace, service, happiness and purpose. Why even live if we are doomed for gloom? You are supposed to be happy – gritty people accept this truth!
- I’m weak – This is one of the most powerful lies that can ruin your whole life if you start to believe it. Gritty people know that they are powerful beyond measure. You are so much stronger than you think!
- This is as good as it gets – When we start to accept this thought, we are likely to settle for less than optimal circumstances. Now I’m not saying that we should never experience bad times, but we must always believe that we can make situations better with hard work, faith and confidence.
- What he/she did is unforgivable – EVERYTHING is forgivable. Gritty people understand that holding a grudge is like “drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.” – Buddha
- I have no control over this situation – While we can’t control all of life’s circumstances, we can always control how we respond. Our responses to situations have so much influence on the outcomes. Gritty people take control of their lives.
- I am the victim – Gritty people accept responsibility for themselves and for their happiness. Despite wrong doings by others, gritty people refuse to be the victim. Victims are weak. Weak is not a good look.
I know each of you are gritty already, so help spread these powerful truths to those you love.
Happy Monday everyone! Today I’m celebrating my 30th birthday – woop woop! I threw a massive “GRIT by Brit” themed birthday party last weekend. Long story short, it was the best night of the my life. DJ, dancing, cupcakes, family and friends – what more could I ask for? I have lots of pics and stories to share with you guys so be on the lookout. I’ll post them soon! Here’s a sneak peak in the meanwhile…
In honor of my milestone birthday, I decided to use an entire week of vacation time to stay home from my corporate career and teach fitness classes all over Dallas! If you are local to Dallas, come join me for a class! My schedule is below. Also, I’ve added a new Google calendar (to the right side panel) so you guys can keep up with my teaching schedule each week. YAY!
Brit’s Group Fitness Teaching Schedule, Dallas, TX
- Mon 7/14, 5:30pm – Indoor Cycling, 24 HF Royal
- Mon 7/14, 7:00pm – Turbo Kick, 24 HF Mockingbird
- Wed 7/16, 12:00pm – Indoor Cycling, 24 HR Downtown
- Thurs 7/17, 6:30pm – Turbo Kick, 24 HF Coit/Campbell
- Fri 7/18, 6:00am – Indoor Cycling, 24 HF Downtown
- Sat 7/19, 9:00am – PiYo, W Dallas Hotel Wetdeck
- Sun 7/20, 3:00pm – TurboKick, 24 HF Mesquite
Those of you who have followed my blog for a while know that fitness is not my full-time profession, but rather a passion that I pursue in conjunction with my consulting career. While balancing the two can be challenging, I find that writing this blog and teaching fitness classes actually helps me in my corporate career. Recently I did an interview with my alma mater, Harvard Business School, to share details of my “double duty” life. You can read the full article here. I hope my experiences encourage you to pursue your interests and put in the work to get everything you want out of life! Don’t let anyone tell you it can’t be done – with hard work, faith and confidence, ALL THINGS are possible. Have a great week. xoxo, Brit
Do you have a passion that you wish you spent more time pursuing?
What’s your side hustle?
Hello everyone! I want to wish you a wonderful week and an even better (US) holiday ahead. Remember to enjoy some down time with those you love and simply savor the holiday. Of course I want you to squeeze in a workout at some point, but most importantly, take some time to unplug, relax and appreciate all the good stuff.
Last but not least, I’ve picked a winner for my 4th of July Sweaty Bands Giveaway. Congrats Christine! Huge shout out to you for prioritizing exercise while studying for the MCAT – phew! I hope you make time to sleep. In case you guys missed Christine’s workout plans, here’s what she has in store…
“This summer, I’ve been spending a lot of time studying for my mcat this coming august. Exercise had been a huge stress relief of mine, and I’ve recently gotten into running! I hope to accomplish a 5k by the end of this summer, so this 4th of July weekend will consist of running along the bayou–my goal is to do a 2.5 mile stretch in one go. I also plan on doing a bit of cross training by getting some laps in at the pool and balancing out my cardio by doing a few Pilates routines. During my study breaks, I want to try your 20 min cardio workout!” – Christine
Also, SURPRISE, I actually got an extra Sweaty Band so I picked a 2nd winner. Congrats Tory! You stole my heart when you mentioned Tae Bo. I always have been and always will be a Billy Blanks fan. Here are Tory’s workout plans for the weekend…
“I’m planning on working out indoors, because of the heat and humidity that’s forecasted for this week. Over this past weekend I brushed the dust off my old Billy Blanks Tae Bo DVDs. They are fun and provide me with a great workout. Now that I’ve seen your ’20 Minute Cardio Workout’, planning on alternating this workout with the 30 minute, Tae Bo workouts. For fun outdoors workouts, it’s all about the water workouts! I’m planning having some playtime with my kids to cool off and get in some laps in the pool.” – Tory
Thanks to everyone who shared their weekend workout plans. Knowing that others will be up and active always encourages me to get moving. Have a happy 4th of July and remember show your #GRIT. Lots of luv, Brit
Hey Gang – Happy (almost) 4th of July! In honor of the upcoming holiday I’m hosting a giveaway of 2 super cute headbands from Sweaty Bands (pictured below)! I love Sweaty Bands because they come in TONS of bright colors and cool patterns and most importantly, they don’t slip during your workout. To participate in the giveaway, just post a comment telling me your 4th of July weekend workout plans – be creative! I’ll pick a winner and announce on Wednesday, July 2nd! Also, be sure to include your email address or a way that I can contact you if you win.
In case you’re pressed for time this weekend, here’s a quick and very effective cardio workout that you can complete in 20 minutes. I do this workout in my hotel room all the time – it’s simple and sweaty! Warning – there’s a lot of jumping incorporated, so if you have chronic knee pain or knee injuries, this is not your ideal workout. For best results, move quickly from one exercise to the next and ONLY rest during the set rest times. You can expect to burn 250-300 calories in 20 minutes or less. Be sure to stretch after you’re finished. If you have questions about any of the exercises, email me at [email protected]. Also, YouTube has tons of example videos to guide you. Give my 20 Minute Cardio workout a whirl and let me know how it goes. Also, don’t forget to share your weekend workout plans to win these adorable Sweaty Bands. Have a great week! xoxo, Brit
Hey Gang! I’m kicking off a new physical challenge to get in tip-top shape for the Summer. Burpees are one of my favorite exercises – I always try to incorporate them into my Turbokick and PiYo fitness classes. Burpees are designed to build muscular and cardio endurance, so expect to be out of breath! Not only does the mega move blast calories it also provides excellent strength training for the entire body, especially the core. Below is a 20-day challenge that I plan to start tomorrow. The goal is to be able to do 60 consecutive burpees by Day 20…In case you’ve never done the burpee exercise before, here’s a simple info-graphic providing step by step instructions…
Once you’ve got the move down, join me for the challenge! Be sure to share you progress on our Facebook page or post a comment below. Be strong and have a wonderful week! xoxo, Brit