(above) Me and my girl @marissagibbons after a ‘Sick Sunday Soul Sweat’
This past Sunday I tried out SoulCycle at NYC – Tribeca. The NYC studios held a special “Soul Service” contributing all proceeds to Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. A good sweat and a good deed made an attractive combo for Sunday Fun-day. I’m gonna get straight to the point and give you guys the “hot facts” about the “Soul Movement”…
What’s all the hype about?
- All the COOL KIDS are doing it – Move over CrossFit! SoulCycle is the hottest AND most expensive fitness class on the street right now! Studios are only in New York and LA and the Soul Movement is so strong that Soul Cycle was recently acquired by Equinox. Several “A” list celebrities have joined the “cult” including but not limited to Lady Gaga and Kelly Rippa. Being a part of the Soul Cycle cult is definitely a status symbol in NYC and LA.
- Spin Class + FULL BODY workout – About 30 minutes into the ride, we used light hand weights conveniently placed under our saddles and started a hardcore upper body toning circuit. SHOULDERS ON FIRE! Also throughout the class, the instructor led several moves to engage our core.
Why is it so expensive?
Not just expensive, but REALLY expensive! The classes are $32 per 45 minute session making them the most expensive group fitness classes in the United States! Here a few reason I can justify the price (in moderation):
- Immaculate facility – Awesome brand with the SOUL CYCLE theme AND motivations slogans consistently portrayed.
- Unique culture and fitness experience – The bikes are really close to each other and the room is pitch black lit only by candle light. They keep the music thumpin’ so you can truly “escape” during your workout.
- Boring instructors are NONEXISTENT – All of the instructors are highly energetic and bring a personal enthusiasm that isn’t annoying. Very motivating leadership.
- Supper friendly and knowledgeable staff – The front desk staff was super helpful especially since it was my first time. They got me a pair of spinning sneakers, set up my bike and walked me around the facility
- INSANE ENERGY! Many of the instructors have backgrounds in acting and music so they know how to pump up a crowd and stay on beat with the music – so necessary.
- COMMUNITY VIBE. During the class all students moved side to side and up in down in the same direction so we look like a synchronized music video – I loved it! Even better, I got a sweet welcome tweet before the class. I can appreciate any club that shows GRIT by Brit some love – ya heard?
- As a single method gym, Soul Cycle could get boring over time. However, if you’re already a regular spin class goer, this could be a suitable alternative.
- With the steep price, you may be likely to skip classes when money is tight. Consistent fitness habits are crucial!
- As a certified indoor cycling instructor I noticed that the class does NOT uphold true cycle principles and form. If you are a hardcore cycling enthusiast, this workout will seem very superficial.
- Cycle shoes are required. So you either have to bring your own or pay an additional $2 to rent a pair (whoa, couldn’t they include that in the $32?)
I had an awesome time at my Sunday Soul Session! I could see myself attending a class here and there when I need to change it up – maybe once every other week. I definitely think Soul Cycle is something you should test for yourself. If you’re a group fitness junkie, like me, you could easily be tempted to join the cult. Even if you aren’t, at least you’ll FIT IN with the “cool kids” and maybe snag a celebrity sighting 😉
(above) My boy @caseygib after our ‘Sunday Soul Session’