I know I’m always talking about the external, physcial benefits of working out (6 pack by summer, J-lo legs, Michelle Obama arms). But, let’s not forget about all of the ways that fitness helps us on the inside. Maintaining our mental health is critical for overall wellness. Here are the top 5 ”non-physical” reasons I believe exercise is a mental health miracle drug. Keep these in mind during your next sweat session!
- Super Self confidence – Pushing through physcial challenges gives us confidence which spills over into other areas of life. Nothing is sexier than confidence :)
- Less Stress – Studies show that the most common mental benefit of exercise is stress relief. Boss getting on your nerves? Go walk it off. Angry is not a good look.
- More Memory – A good sweat session boosts our memory capacity and brain power. Jocks are smarter after all…and smart is HOT
- Addiction Control – Since our brains releases dopamine “the happy chemical” during exercise, we get a natural high – goodbye addictions!
- Real Relaxation – Moderate exercise can have the same effect on your body as a sleeping pill. Who needs chemical drugs for a little R&R? Not us!