Last week I checked out a 30/60/90 group fitness class with #rock star instructor, Zack Schares (follow him @zaxfit). I’ve always been a little skeptical of this group fitness format because it seemed very “boot camp” style and I’m not a fan of such. I prefer choreographed workouts. Workouts I can jam to. Way more fun. Obvi.
HOWEVER, my 30/60/90 class was a very pleasant surprise that left me profusely perspiring and pleased indeed 🙂
Here’s the scoop…
- Duration: 45 minutes
- Locations: 24 Hour Fitness and Equinox clubs in New York City; Click here for a full schedule of classes
- Calories Burned: ~450-600
- Style: Cardio intervals, plyometrics on a step, and resistance training using hands weights
- Vibe: Depends on the instructor, but booty bumpin’ music is key – the workout can be done to the beat of the music and is MUCH better when done so!
5 reasons to check it out…
- Let’s HIIT it! High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the foundation of this fitness format. I’m still not really sure why the class is called “30/60/90″…we did some drills for 15 seconds and 45 seconds so I didn’t make the connection. BUT the point is that you do some high intensity intervals and intermix them with lower intensity resistance training. You guys know I’m a HUGE fan of HIIT training, the most efficient and effective way to work out, hands down.
- 90’s step aerobics anyone? Be ready for some old school step aerobics moves. The workout has a sneaky way of building them in, which I actually found to be really fun! These moves are mostly during the cardio intervals and go well with the music. It’s nice because you can jam while you step and sweat.
- Hard “CORE” There’s a lot of plank holds, side planks, and squat thrusts (aka burpees) which really work your abs and lower back. A strong core is critical for balancing, good posture and sexy abs. I was really happy with the movement for my middle!
- Sculpt. Super. Sexy. Muscles. During the workout we used moderately heavy hand weights to tone our arms. My shoulders are my favorite body part, so the narcissist in me enjoyed watching myself in the mirror, pumpin’ iron in my new racer back tank – holla 😉
- *Pump up the Jamz* My instructor, Zack, blasted the beats (which seemed to be the norm). It was easy for me to get lost in the music during the really challenging cardio intervals. Music makes me move and this class had some juicy jamz!
(below – #SELFIE before and after class; I clearly got a good sweat)